The foundation of the BioCT project is a full SWOT analysis of the regions involved for their biotechnology capacity:
The SWOT was carried out by INNO TSD and full analysis undertaken in early 2010.
- Design of a questionnaire to be filled by the BIO-CT partners themselves and meeting guidelines to be used during the face-to-face interviews made in each cluster, with a selection of most representative person.
- Face-to-face interviews in each cluster to collect quantitative and qualitative information by meeting about 10 persons among the most representative ones
- Analysis of the data through a common format
- Creation of orientations to be discussed for the other work packages and therefore for the Joint Action plan
Face to face interviews were carried out with the following actors in each cluster:
- 3 enterprises: 2 start-up + 1 big company
- 2 scientific labs
- 2 interface organizations
- 1 facilitator (cluster)
- 1 policy-maker
The analysis focussed on the key areas that BioCT has targeted for development of common tools:
- Shared facilities
- Harnessing talent
- Technology maturation
The SWOT identified the remarkable qualities unique to each region with the objective that these are combined to create a critical mass across Europe for the improved support of the biotechnology sector.